My Scouts Are Trying To Tell Me Soemthing

Apparently I haven't been giving my scouts enough attention because one decided to play hide and seek with me for two weeks. I have a five man close combat scout squad with a power fist that I had originally planned on using to outflank when I bought it. I think I used it all of twice before giving up on them. Since getting hit with the nerf stick in 5th edition, I haven't touched them. Maybe if I had a full ten man cc squad they would find there way into more games, but as it stands the scouts wont be seeing much play anytime soon.
Anyway, about the hiding scout.
While packing up from my last game against Jordan and his Orks I grabbed one of my Sabol trays off the shelf and clipped a book or something. I never saw the scout fly; I just heard it bounce off the edge of the table. I looked for it for a good ten minutes before giving up and continued to pack.
About a week and a half later while making a quick run to the basement to grab something, I noticed something sticking out of a tree. "What are the odds of that," I wondered.

For my next game I plan on taking the hint. Grab your gear and pick up a teleport homer boys, you're going in deep!

What are your thoughts on scouts these days? You hear about bikers and storms a lot, but do foot slogging scouts still have a place in 5th edition?

13 comments:

  1. People aren't fans of anything outside of a vehicle in 5th edition. That, coupled with their inferior stats and armor, will probably ensure you don't find many scout lovers out there.

    Though I know sniper rifles aren't a good investment, I do like to use them. I also like using h2h scouts as they're the closest thing standard marines can get to using assault marines as troops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add Shrike to your list and you can get first turn assaults but everyone will probably just reserve everything on you since you would have to declare they are inflitrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doeet! Shake things up. I'm still going back and forth between craziness for next weekends PBL event.

    Rattlings back in? Leman Russes reappearing?! The world of Warhammer is our oyster. Lets tear it open and suck the juicy center our! rofl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like fielding scouts with sniper rifles and camo cloaks in a Landspeeder storm (thier transport, I think its the storm).

    When you roll objective games, they can be awesome. Usually there will be an objective on your opponents side in 4+ cover - with scout move you can probably get to there in a turn or 2 tops - if its kinda out of the way, or turn 4 and currently unclaimed, even better! drop em out and if you get shot at, go to ground for a 2+ cover save!

    In alot of cases your opponent wont realise how bad that is until at least one turn AFTER you've been there (after they shoot at you and you goto ground, bwaha) bringing you to around turn 3 before they start unleashing alot more of thier army against you.

    At the very least this gives you a considerably good distraction for your opponent, and is likely to give you the objective! (especially if its high up.. hint hint) :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on running a 10-man squad, split into combat squads: 5 men with sniper rifles and 5-men with bolters (or shotguns), Telion, and a missile launcher. They'll probably be full of fail, but I've never been too worried about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea if 5 normal scouts in a storm for late game scoring and rapid fire clean up shots while in the transport. Sadly I made a new years resolution to not buy more 40k till I get my backlog done so I'll have to make due with what I have which is the aforementioned 5 man cc squad and 4 snipers with a missile launcher / heavy bolter. I would love to get my hands on a Tellion. My second model ever was a vindicare and I never even put him to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say they are worth a shot. I feel like they have some great features that can help out the army. I would agree with you and say if you give them objective duty for late game, that would be perfect. It's a very good army need that often goes unlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you can proxy for the PBL. No one is gonna call you on it. Just as long as you don't take that to Adepticon we're all good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis true, totally worth a proxy play. Just think of how much Pedro proxies, it's like half of his army! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously. And if I could ever not have plans pop up at the last minute I could even get over there and we could try em out without it being an "official" PBL game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it bad that I'm greatly looking forward to the official PBL game of tQ vs Moonstride? I just want to watch and podcast it =P

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will be epic JoeyV! We need to figure out size and type. I want to do HUGE, but it would take forever and I've only got about 1,750pts painted. So I would look the noob at a big game with black primer tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well when it happens I will be there! Looking forward to whatever battle we have where I can get a podcast in. I'll feel like a boxing commentator during a championship fight. =P

    ReplyDelete